Wednesday, September 03, 2008

First Day of School - 2008

Yesterday was the first day of school. I had one that was happy about that and one not so much. I also had one that was pitching a fit and in no state to be photographed.

Can you guess which is which?
And no, it's not the haircut that is bringing him down (though it is a terrible haircut). He got over the haircut yesterday. I love that about boys. They rebound really well from beauty mishaps.
(compare last year)

I finally said something irresistibly funny which upgraded the mope to a grin-grimace.

Or maybe he felt bad for me because Maya was having a full blown exorcism in the driveway, and he figured he'd give me a little break. In any event, I just realized that I love the word grimace. I'm going to look it up right now.

Wait, remember him?

Grimace is a large, purple anthropomorphic being of indeterminate species with short arms and legs. He is known for his slow-witted demeanor. His most common expression is the word "duh". Originally, Grimace was the "Evil Grimace", with two pairs of arms with which to steal milkshakes. After that first campaign, the character was revised to be one of the "good guys", and his number of arms was reduced by two. Commercials and merchandise generally portrayed him as a well-meaning simpleton, whose clumsy antics provided a comic foil to Ronald McDonald. The character was retained after the streamlining of the characters in the '80s. (Wikipedia)

Learn something new every day, don't ya?

8 comments:

The Gawel's said...

Wow! Amelle went from being a little kid to teen-age looking! Jermaine is going to have to watch out for the boys.
Did you get a picture of Amaya? Avery just looks so thrille. I think the older they get, the less they like to get their picture taken.

T5M said...

No, but I wish I had taken one of her flipping out because I didn't offer her the jacket she wanted.

Also, girls are so much more social than boys, Amelle couldn't wait to get back to school to be with her friends. Avery would rather be home playing xbox. Plus, 4th grade is much more academically challenging than 2nd grade. So you're right - it's probably a combination of a bunch of things.

Amelle is 7 going on 27. That girl is a total mess. It would be fun to get everyone together again. It makes me sad that another summer has passed and we haven't seen each other! We need to plan something!

~Seth and Nancy~ said...

i agree with nicky...crazy how much amelle's grown up in a year!
the look on avery's face is priceless :-)

TheKeyRing said...

The look on the face is priceless, but what I really want to know is who cut that hair? Is it just bedhead or is it really cut almost in a cone shape?
I don't even both with 1st day pictures anymore -- by the time they get to Jr. High and High school they no longer want to indulge their mother with a photograph and Emme doesn't recognize the 1st day as any different than all the rest, even though she moved up to the Honey Bear room.

MaineMom said...

Maybe Avery is still upset over his hair. Unfortunately, they butchered it. You should sue Super Cuts b/c it's really fake advertising...what's so super about that cut? Um...nothing.

As their agent, I'm pissed. I know..I know..I need to get going on that..

But now I have to wait a few months for his hair to reclaim its former beauty.

Audra said...

i just reread this post and it made me laugh - mainly because you totally got off track and put in a picture of Grimace!
I love you Erin!

MaineMom said...

P.S. I loved Grimace! I had one of those drinking glasses with Grimace on it...remember those?

TheKeyRing said...

I had a Grimace glass, too, as well as Ronald, Hamburgler, and all the rest.