Monday, October 13, 2008

Before and After: The Fireplace

...because before and afters are fun...


This is what Dirt and I saw when we did our first walk through of our house. We were like, "oh yes, this place is freakin' awesome, we have to have it, where do we sign?"

Seriously this house was the most disgusting house I had ever stepped foot in. To this day, I have no idea why we decided to buy it. Maybe we were high off of the cigarette fumes. ...or maybe those weren't cigarettes those people were chain smoking...




This is what the same area looked like about 1 hour after closing. Okay, maybe it wasn't an hour after closing, maybe a week later. ...what I'm trying to capture is the sense of urgency we had to move all things reminiscent of the old house.
Then something bad happened...

...we got busy working on other renovation projects. We slapped a baby-gate over the hole and called it a day...well, actually two years.

but then one day...my beloved told me he was ready...

and we bought this little number to put inside the hole.


...and then the gas man came and hooked up the gas...
...and St. Rick came and did the masonry...
...and Dirt framed the wall...
...and dry-walled it....and painted it...
...and Papa Gordo made a mantel...
...and I put a pumpkin on the mantel...

...and well-ah!

7 comments:

MaineMom said...

You should have slapped that eagle back up above the mantel in homage.

It looks SO great!!

P.S. I remember how bad the cigarette smell was inside that house. It was probably worse than any club I'd stepped foot into (well, save for that jazz bar in Philly...). Gah!

~Seth and Nancy~ said...

the mantle looks awesome! nice to see the complete picture...with the walls up and all.
funny wendy, i noticed that eagle too :-)

~Seth and Nancy~ said...

i like the new header by the way!

K-Sea said...

I like the old look-it was more "DAD"

Audra said...

your living room is perfect!!

Grandma said...

Before I look at your comments, I was going to say, "I liked the old look better"....then I saw Shaun's comment. I guess he should have said "it was more Dad and Mom!

Brooke W said...

Haha-that's AWESOME...don't you love before and after picks!? And it feels so good when it's done