Thursday, October 09, 2008

Coordination: Out-takes

Coordinating a group photograph takes a lot of skill and effort. The level of complexity that comes into play when orchestrating such a shot is exacerbated by a complex formula (warning, do not attempt to follow this unless you've had your morning coffee). Here goes:
A x N = I
A = Age of participants, a low A value correlates to a high level of complexity. N = Number of participants. As N increases, the level of complexity also increases. In our case, our A factor, combined with our N factor equals "I". Insanity.


Which again, is why I'm glad to know Audra, who is not only a photographer, but a math major.

Here are some of the delicious out-takes from Saturday. Oh, one disclaimer: these are not Audra's shots, Audra's shots are much, much better than these. These [head hung low] are mine. The other thing you'll notice is that the subjects are not looking at my camera because they've been instructed to look at Audra's camera (me and my Nikon are just along for the ride)


Through the years, (and as our "N factor has increased"), we've learned that getting a good group shot is about compromise and basic statistics. It's statistically improbable that we'll get everyone perfect at once, so we essentially have to take the shot with the most number of decent looking kids and go with that one. Hey, it only stays on the mantel for a year, and the odd ones out can hope to catch a break the following year. In this shot, you'll see that everyone is decent, except Avery, who looks like he's demon possessed.


No explanation necessary.



This particular shot has multiple irregularities: Mina's eye's are closed, Beckett's head is turned completely away from the camera (it looks like he's asking Avery to pass the Grey Poupon), and Will looks like Howdy Doody (and I love him for it).


Will looks like he's going to throw up.


Mina looks like she's going to throw up.

Which is why, at the end of the day, it's best if we just throw in the towel and opt for something like this:

Thank you Audra! We love you!

4 comments:

K-Sea said...

These are great-classics for sure.

Audra Rocks!

~Seth and Nancy~ said...

that's the best! there's always photoshop...cut and paste the heads from better pictures? but then it's not quite as funny :-) i remember those days with my cousins...there were only five of us altogether though.

Audra said...

This post just made me laugh out loud at my desk! I have no other group that I photograph regularly that is as big as the Moore/Casey group! You guys are my holy grail - someday I will have everyone looking at me and smiling!!

MaineMom said...

Thanks for the laugh...as much as it hurt, I needed it!