Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween

I'm not bitter that our town's designated trick or treat night is October 30th. Really, I'm not. I mean why would I be upset about having to explain to every single person who asks me if the "kids are excited to go trick or treating", that they've already been. Why would I care that I have to endure the look of confusion, the interrogation about why a town would do that, the look of disgust, the comment about how nonsensical it is, and finally, the icing on the cake: the look of "how could you live in a town that is run by idiots?".

Okay, truth be told, I am bitter about it. I hate it. It aggravates me. It peeves me. It eats away at my soul.

So, it's Halloween and um...there is like nothing to do. I'm mean Trick or Treat is kind of the culminating event for Halloween..and we went last night.



The KSeas invited us to trick or treat at Strawberry Banke tonight, sort of a "round 2", and then hit the Portsmouth Halloween Parade, but the kids weren't down with it. Apparently once a kid has gone trick or treating, Halloween is over. There is no sense in going out to get candy when your sack is already full. I mean, at that point, the door to door drill is simply exercise, and let's face it, that's not what Halloween is about.


Since the kids weren't down with having traditional "Halloween fun", we ordered from Loco Coco's and played Pictionary (that sounds "less fun" than it actually was).

We played and laughed and spend the night enjoying each other's company. And the spookiest thing about it was Dirt's rendition of the word "navel".

So this was our Halloween, and it was good, real good.

4 comments:

MaineMom said...

Hello? It's just not OUR town silly goose. Let's set the record straight. It's this whole area that does it the night before. And basically it's so us "heathens" can sacrifice goats, cats and even small, dirty children (and the occasional dirty adult - somehow you keep alluding us Erin) on All Hallows Eve. Hello? What's so difficult to understand about that? Hmmmm?

Also, it seems that it is just your children who don't like Round 2. Will was stoked about it, and it was a great night. Tons of kids and the weather was absolutely perfect!! However, Will almost cried that his cousins didn't join in.

Pictionary? So 1987.

Just kidding. I'm sure you guys had fun.... but not as fun as us!

~Seth and Nancy~ said...

looks like a fun time!
i think i'd be tempting to stay in too if i had to trick 'o treat in maine...it must be freezing!!

~Seth and Nancy~ said...

by the way, the pittsburgh area does halloween on a different night too.

Grandma said...

When I was a kid, if Halloween was celebrated every day of the week, it would have been fine with me!