Sunday, November 23, 2008

It's Beginning to Look a lot like....

A few weeks ago I called my sister-in-lawlessness, Wendy to ask her if I should toss my pumpkins (not to be confused with cookies). With Jack Frost nipping at my nose (and hanging around on my windshield in the morning), I thought it might be time to chuck the 10 or so pumpkins that were adorning my house. Wendy told me that I could hang on to the pumpkins until Thanksgiving.

I'm glad to have such a savvy SIL who can make snap decisions about my home decor. Making decisions tires me out. Maybe it's my line of work, where decisions can be heavy, or maybe it's just being a mother of three, but some days I feel like I have way too many decisions to make, so when given the opportunity to pass one off to a trusted family member, like Wendy (or the kids), I'll gladly do so.
Plus, I'm all about "one holiday at a time". Despite what retail marketing would have us believe, I'm stubbornly convinced that the Christmas season doesn't officially start until the day after Thanksgiving.


But this week, something strange happened. Christmas snuck into my life. Dirt started asking me about shopping for the kids and wanted to know what was on my wish list this year. I passed five houses (I counted) adorned with with Christmas lights on way home from work. A local radio station switched it's programming to Christmas music only.


By Sunday I was seeing signs around my own house. The Christmas cactus was blooming, the kids were requesting Christmas music, and the school sent home fliers soliciting wreath orders and asking for candy cane donations.


Despite my best attempt at warding Christmas off until after Thanksgiving, it has imposed itself on me. Today I gave in. I played the music, chucked the pumpkins, put out the magazines. Clearly Christmas is a force too strong to be reckoned with.
So tell me, have you started the Christmas season yet?

9 comments:

Twenty Four At Heart said...

I HAVEN'T and I've still got pumpkins on my porch. I start the day after Thanksgiving. It's tough though because everywhere I turn there are already lights up on the palm trees!

MaineMom said...

Young Butterfly, you are weak. Very, very weak.

MaineMom said...

P.S. It is fine to leave out your pumpkins until Thanksgiving since they go with the "theme", BUT they must be thrown away if you have any Christmas decorations out (this includes burning a Christmas candle). That, my fashion victim friend, is called a "CDD" (cross-decoration disaster).

P.S.S. You really are lucky you have me.

Raike said...

I too have started my preparations for Christmas with the home makeover.

MaineMom said...

Oops, I think that was P.P.S.

Lo said...

hahaha so funny!! you know i'm a firm believer in day-after-thanksgiving only. that's when the tree goes up, you spend alllll day inside snuggled and toasty and eating leftovers until you feel nice and fat, and you decorate the tree and the house and then just hang out and watch xmas movies all night.

however... i am guilty this year... i put up winnie the pooh window clings in my living room. yes. i did. i admit.

and i have no excuse, bc.. i don't have any children, just a weakness for disney!!

(oh and i donated 3 shoebox container occ items yesterday!! thank you again for featuring such a GREAT fun charity project!)

joelle said...

Hi Auntie Erin! On 107.1 and 94.9 they have been playing Christmas music and when I get in the car I turn it on. And when I am doing my homework I turn the Christmas music channel on. Next weekend I think Wendy is gonna put up her Christmas tree(?) So YES, I have started my Christmas season!

~Seth and Nancy~ said...

SO weird...i was just thinking about blogging about the same thing!!! normally i'm with you...christmas season starts the day after thanksgiving, but it's been so cold here that i've been feeling the christmas spirit a little bit early this year!

TheKeyRing said...

I've started knitting christmas gifts. I usually start earlier than this, but this year I've had some trouble getting into the entire "holiday" spirit. Started with Halloween, carried over to Thanksgiving, and now it is threatening Christmas. I need a "holiday spirit" intervention, so this weekend I began knitting fairly simply things for gifts -- gotta start somewhere.