Monday, December 15, 2008

2008 Ice Storm - Part II

....continued from previous post....

The morning sun reflected off the bay, into our room, bounced off the mirror above the dresser, and began searing a hole in my eyelid.

Gosh, I'm such a liar, you'd think I was into sci-fi or something (I'm not). I've just been married to Dirt for a while, I think I may actually be starting to make up an alternate reality. In truth, I had been up half the night because I was sharing a full size bed with Avery and Amelle and I couldn't wait for the night to be over. As soon as sunlight lit the room, I grabbed my cell phone off the nightstand and dialed home. Four rings later, I was greeted by my and Maya's voice recording. We had electricity!

Knowing that there would be no escaping the hotel without taking the kids down for a swim, we quickly got to business. The five of us were in the pool by 7am and out by 7:30. We couldn't wait to get home.


Dirt and I loved our house more on that day then we ever have, and probably ever will. I can't explain the overwhelming joy we felt on Saturday. I immediately began cleaning, gleefully cleaning (this may be the first time that "gleefully" has ever, in all of history, been used as an adverb for the word "cleaning").

We called the KSeas and offered up our house to them - showers, warmth, lunch, technology - they were still without such things. By noon, we had a full house. By 2pm the kids were decorating sugar cookies.


By 2:03pm Maya was eating her hair.

By 2:05pm she had figured out how to get through the hair, and was licking frosting off of her fingers.

Don't you just love a happy ending?



2 comments:

joelle said...

That was so much fun decorating the cookies! Thank You for inviting us over your house for sugar!!!

MaineMom said...

The clean up was a blast! But at least it stopped the fun "screaming" game for a few minutes...