Sunday, January 18, 2009

I Have a Problem

..several problems really, but this one I didn't know about until today.

I'm a book hoarder.

There, I said it. That felt good. The first step in recovery is admitting that you have a problem.

I know that I enjoy a good book every now and then. Okay, maybe a little more than that. I devour books, like a T-Rex eating a Big Mac. This is how it works: I start reading a book and get obsessed with finishing it. Once I finish it, I hunger for the next. I often buy two or three books at a time and line them up to read.

I am also acutely aware that I like my books in paper form. I have no interest in Kindle or online books. I want good old fashioned paperback books. I love the smell of books, I walk into bookstores and inhale deeply, soaking in the perfect marriage between paper and ink.

I didn't realize that my little hobby had blossomed into a legitimate problem until I embarked on a mission to clean my nightstand, which I knew was getting unruly because last night, when I when to put my book down on it, I had to skillfully balance it on top of a multitude of other books, like a house of cards, or a high-rolling game of Jenga.


I'm not proud of this. And looking at this picture now, I'm not sure how I slept with this mess just inches from my head. (Sorry Mom).

When I dismantled the top of my nightstand this morning, I inventoried 26 books, 5 magazines, a stack of adoption brochures and paperwork, a lamp, a candle, a clock, a box of tissues, and a framed photo.

The reading material on my nightstand was not without rhyme or reason. Clockwise from the top left, we have an assortment of magazines, next is an assortment of books I've either just read or am about to read, then three Christian books I like to have handy for "pick up reading", then an assortment of Children's literature for my writing, and then an assortment of adoption-related materials. All very pertinent, but not all needed on my nightstand.

...but that's not all...

My three-drawered nightstand also contained books and magazines. Six more books and five more magazines to be exact.


When I arranged all of the reading materials on my nightstand in this fashion, it did seem to be a bit much.

But this story is not without a happy ending. I relocated the adoption brochures to one of the drawers, all of the magazines to the trash, and all of the other books (except for the one I am reading and the one I plan to read next) to the "family library" - in Dirt's office. Okay, I held on to my three Christian pick up books as well. But all in all, I'm okay with having 5 books in my nightstand (by the end of the day it'll only be four). Yay me!

So what's on your bedside table?

5 comments:

MaineMom said...

Was that a jar of peanut butter on your nightstand?

On my nightstand:

My Kindle (which I love)
The journals I keep for Will & Beckett
A lamp, the phone and usually a glass of water

Grandma said...

On my nightstand, a lamp and ONE book.

You're a mess!

The Crime Fighting Ninja said...

I don't have a nightstand, and with good reason! at my Bedside I have my alarm clock my glasses and two books, which seem tame, but...between me and Hammie we have books in the bathroom the kitchen, the office, the living room & even on the stair case leading up to our office! We spread ours out so that it doesn't seem that bad and if we happen to need something to read as we are going somewhere we have one handy!

Currently reading, Great Thinkers and just finished a StarWars book!

Lo said...

your house looks just like MY house!!!!!! when i moved i swear i had like a million boxes. and they weigh A TON. i now have a 'library', aka three bookshelves in my living room devoted to books. sigh. i just adore books. my nightstadn is really an 'occassional table' or so it's called online... sort of like a hall table. we use those for our nightstands bc of this exact reason!!! and yet i STILL have a pile of empty glasses, chapstick, tissues and books. heh.

Smart Mouth Broad said...

I love books too. My nightstand gets out of control often but was recently cleaned so at the moment it has my bible, a favorite Christian book-Fresh Brewed Coffee, and the book I'm currently reading, John Grisham's The Appeal.