So, where did we leave off, ah yes, I remember, it was with this post, in November:
…We actually began filling out the home-study paperwork and attending adoption teleconferences a few months back. When our nation’s economic downturn evolved into an economic crisis, Dirt decided to put the brakes on the adoption thing, citing economic uncertainty as his major concern. He wanted to be more financially prepared for the expense of adoption, as we’ll need to come out of pocket with $25,000 in 10-12 months to complete the process. I just hate it when Dirt is all responsible-like [eyes rolling].
So, we’ve agreed to hold off until February to see how things play out with his current contract…
It’s all coming back to me; I agreed to
So here we are in February. As Dirt predicted, his contract did end (on Dec 22), so money is still an issue, probably even more so than before. However, never having been one to let a little thing like common sense stop me from doing something, I still believe that adoption is possible for us. I actually view the loss of Dirt’s income as a potential blessing because it may move us into a lower income bracket where we might be able to qualify for the adoption tax credit.
However, finances aside, I don’t think it’s time yet. This is a strange feeling for me because I’m terrible at waiting for things I want, (and let me tell you, I’ve gone from lukewarm to red hot for adoption). I keep getting this sense that I’ll know what to do when I come back from Ethiopia in April. I don’t know what that means, but I trust it.
So, we’re all on hold again, stay tuned for an April update!