Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A View From The Pew

On Sunday, Shaun brought the kids to church for the first time. The following comments resulted:

Joelle: "Um, Auntie Erin...is it okay if we share seats?"
Me: "Yes, there are no rules in church"

Wendy to Mina: "How was church?"
Mina: "We had to sing songs about God and lambs"

Wendy to Will: "I like your craft"
Will: "We made it for the God"

I love these observations, they make me laugh. I remember thinking similar things before I was "churched". I thought there were a lot of rules in church, but after going regularly for the last seven years, I've realized there are actually none.

One time Dirt and I walked into our old church late, Dirt with his "large extra extra" and me slurping my iced coffee, which was all fine. ...until about half way through the sermon when the pastor mentioned that the congregation was fasting in preparation for the annual meeting. Oops!

Good times.

7 comments:

Starshine said...

I love those moments because they are so pure and unspoiled!

~Seth and Nancy~ said...

that's great! singing about lambs :-) i remember growing up i never liked the hymn "there is a fountain filled with blood"...always freaked me out a bit!

Lo said...

'we made it for the God' hehehehehehehehehehehehehe

~Seth and Nancy~ said...

i missed "THE" when i read will's comment. i guess he really learned something in children's church then huh?! :-)

Jillian and Crew said...

Love all of these. Morgan Yisak has been very 'vocal' about the "strangeness" of Amrican churches...it is so interesting to see!

Can you email me again please? I need to get your address so I cans end money and shoppling list *wink* for Ethioia.

Thanks!!!

Grandma said...

Wow, Wendy and Shaun in church. You must be mistaken!

MaineMom said...

Grandma, I didn't go to church. I'm not allowed in.