Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

So it's Mother's Day. My day began at 6:45 with Dirt's iphone alarm going off in the kitchen....downstairs.
I rolled out of bed at 7 and with bare feet, made my way downstairs to silence said alarm. On my way down stairs I stepped in huge chunks of dirt that were laying like boobie traps on each step, no doubt remnants from Dirt's boots (no wonder I call him Dirt). Last night he had set an eel trap in an attempt to collect eels in time for mother's day for his fishing excursions. Knowing how much I like eels (aka water snakes) and all...

These things are going to live in our garage. Yes I am skeeved. They will move out if: 1) I start having nightmares about them, 2) one of them escapes.

Okay, I'm off course, let's get back to the topic at hand, Mother's Day.

Thinking that I could capitalize on Mother's Day, I asked the kids to sit still for a photograph. With all the photos I snap, you'd think that I'd have at least one decent picture of all three of my kids, but I don't.




And after today, I still don't.

Avery is old enough to understand that Mother's Day etiquette involves a certain level of obedience to one's mother. The other two...not so much. Amaya was particularly not understanding. When she handed me her Mother's Day gift that she had made at school, she smiled proudly and then tore it back out of my hands, demanding that she unwrap it. When I tried to tell her that it was suppose to be a gift for me, for Mother's Day, she said, "NO! It's my Mother's Day gift!". I disagreed, but then let her open it. Then when she saw the candy that was inside, she decided that the contents also belonged to her. She stuffed her mouth shamelessly.




But I love them and I LOVE BEING THEIR MOM.

Thank you Lord, for the gift of motherhood.

Thank you also for my mother and my mother-in-law. I am so blessed to have these amazing women in my life.

I would be remiss if I didn't also share my heavy heart today. This Mother's Day I am thinking about the multitudes of children I recently met (and those like them) who do not have mothers. I pray that God will continue to use me to help unite them with mothers and sponsor-mommys.

(Bereket, my soon-to-be-sponsor-son, is furthest right.)

...and today I am also thinking of my dear friend Nancy, who just became a mother recently. I hope today is everything you dreamed it would be! Happy Mother's Day to you!

4 comments:

Jillian and Crew said...

We got your package yesterday!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! How wonderful!!! You got exactly what we needed. please let us know how much we owe you.

Also please email me the sponsor info and I will share with my egroups.

Thanks!
Jillian

The Graham Fam said...

Aw, I love the pictures you got of the three of them (Amaya's face is absolutely priceless!).

Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!!

~Seth and Nancy~ said...

aw...thanks erin! it was a nice day...levi was little fussy and didn't get the memo that he was supposed to let me sleep through the night, but aside from that he was a good boy :-)
that firest picture of maya is priceless!
happy mother's day to you!

The Crime Fighting Ninja said...

Aww... I love the first pic, Maya looks like she is screaming up a storm and I must commend Avery and Amelle for sitting there smiling as if nothing is going on behind them! That picture is trully priceless! I would blow that up and frame it! You can't capture perfection on purpose!
Happy Mom's day to you, I know how you feel about your surrogate children on the other side of the pond, I came back in March when I went and had the Mother's day guilt too.