Monday, May 04, 2009

How Was It?

I’ve been trying to come up with an answer to the question, “how was your trip?”. But I can’t.




How do you describe a place that is destitute?




Yet breathtakingly beautiful?


How do you describe unspeakable faith




in the midst of uncertainty


Joy in the midst of sorrow?


Provision in the midst of need?

How do you describe this little boy's smile? How do you adequately share that you met him on the side of the road when he appeared out of nowhere to pick a crumb of your cookie off the ground; or how good it felt to hand him the rest of the cookie and watch him devour it.



How do you tell people about Hannah and her faith that moves mountains?



How is it possible to share what it’s like to have an orphan pray for you? Do you tell them about Sammi's fervent, five minute long prayer that left you and twelve others in tears? Do you share that he was twelve, barefoot, in tattered clothes with no food, no money for schooling, no possessions, no parents and he was praying for us?



...or about the tears rolling down Ficatu’s face as he talked about the suffering of one of the orphans before she came to live at his orphanage? ...and your surprise to learn that the girl he was telling you about was the one you noticed on your way in that day, because of her incredible smile.



...or the way Telagne's trembling body collapsed into our arms when we shared that we were going to help her by providing mattresses and blankets and help find sponsors for the children in her care...not because of the mattresses, but because God had answered her prayers.


...or the feeling the stirred inside when you learned that the 8 year old girl giggling and hanging upside down from your waist is HIV positive…



…or what it’s like to get clobbered with sticky kisses, hugs, and broken English “I love yous”

…or what it’s like to give them to a swarm of kids without getting a fly in your mouth :-)




…or how it feels to tell an orphan, “I love you” – and mean it.


..or what it means to receive a love note from an orphan...or a necklace off of their neck, or a rose...without them wanting anything in return because they're happy just knowing that they have given you something.


…or what it’s like to feel God smile, because He’s glad you came.

16 comments:

The Roberts Family said...

I'd say you answered it pretty well. Looking forward to see God write the next chapter of your life, dear sister!! Blessings, Shelly

Carole Turner said...

That was so beautiful! I'm crying AGAIN!

The Gawel's said...

I am speechless and in tears! I think you answered the question like no other person could have!

Tiana said...

Wow! I'm crying at work!

Russ said...

This is PERFECT Erin! Loved the pics and the story telling. I've got an idea ... hmmmmm. That's dangerous.

~Seth and Nancy~ said...

i think the pictures say it all! i had tears in my eyes as i read it. i'm looking forward to the next time we can hang out so we can chat more about it.

Smart Mouth Broad said...

This was a beautiful post, Erin. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Grandma said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful and more beautiful! I'm crying, too!

Jillian and Crew said...

Very well done.......very

Jillian

Andrea said...

Hi there! Your pictures and words say everything. Beautiful! I was wondering if you would be willing to e-mail me. I am working with Tom Davis and CHC to sponsor one of the places you visited. I am just so excited to hear the descriptions and experiences of those who "saw", "touched", and "loved" on these children. I had a great conversation with Debbie Sawyer and would love your insights as well. THanks!!

Andrea
http://kidd-ethiopia-adoption.blogspot.com
poshbabyposh@yahoo.com

Dawn said...

It is very rare that another person gives voice to my heart. Thank you. Truer words may have never been penned. Too bad so little really see these "moments".
(visited by way of Jillian) :-) Blessings.

MaineMom said...

This gave me chills.

Our trip was sort of like trying to describe to someone how you had an incredible meal in a nice restaurant. Unless you were able to taste it, see it, touch it and feel it, words fail.

It's hard to explain. I want to go back and hug those kids more....

The Graham Fam said...

Very beautifully put, Erin.

Starshine said...

Oh, wow, you have tears rolling down my cheeks with this post. Those pictures speak volumes, and I am moved.

Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

Starshine said...

BTW, my husband and I are in the beginning stages of adopting from Ethiopia. :)

Chrissy said...

This is the best blog I have read!! your pictures are AMAZING!! thanks for sharing :)