Thursday, June 04, 2009

My 14 Cents

One of my (blog) friends, Brandi, just returned back from Uganda, where Children's Hopechest is launching a sponsorship program. Unfortunately, what Brandi found in Uganda can't wait for children to get sponsored, the situation is dire and the need is immediate. Like now.

The bad news is that Ugandan schools cannot give pencils out to students because the children are so hungry, they eat them. The good news is that $0.14 can feed someone a meal of posho (cornmeal) and beans.

Take that in for a moment. . .
$0.14 a meal
$2.86 for 20 days
$1 per FAMILY
$20 feed a family for 20 days.

Join me in skipping lunch today and then give the money you would have spent on your lunch here (note: FEED THE FORGOTTEN). Then comment back here and tell us how many people you fed today. It'll be fun. If you don't want to skip your lunch, skip your morning iced coffee - or the one you drink at 3pm. Or don't skip anything, just give a little. The possibilities are limitless!

I'm going light on this topic because I've put you all through enough lately, but if you want the real skinny read this or this. Or, suffice it to say that you can save someone from eating dung and insects today. There I said it. I tricked you, I didn't go light on you afterall. Yeah, poop and insects. That's the kind of starvation we're talking about. Sip on that on your way to work this morning.

5 comments:

Brandi said...

when you ended with "sip on that" ouch. that's all I can say.

Thanks friend. These children are laying on my heart so heavily and it is so amazing to watch the people of God mobilize to love them in a tangible way.

Love,
Brandi (who will be you IRL friend come September!)

Erin Moore said...

Okay, so far I have skipped my iced coffee, which I think costs around $2, so that equals 14 meals!

Holy cow. This is fun!

Erin Moore said...

I was too weak to give up a JavaChip from *Bucks today. The penalty is that I will match the$3.75 I spent on the drink and feed 27 people!

Um, why am I the only one feeding people here? Get to it people.

MaineMom said...

It's pretty awful that a child has to eat a PENCIL because he/she is hungry.

I just donated $20.

I wish I could donate $20,000,000,000

Grandma said...

I just matched my daughter-in-law's donation.

No child should have to live like that. It makes my heart heavy to read such stuff.