Wednesday, November 25, 2009

"Can I call you mom?"

Oh my gosh, I am in such a tizzy! I just got an email from my sweet "son" who lives at Kolfe orphanage in Ethiopia.

You probably remember "B" from my many posts...his sweet smile has been plastered all over my two blogs, my office, and my house ever since I met him last April.

On Monday I received awesome news from a woman who also has a son at Kolfe - she informed me that she had her son Solomon set up an e-mail account for B. I was so excited that I quickly fired off an e-mail to him tellling him who I was and how much I love him. I asked him if there was anything he needed that I could help him with, I told him that I was sending him a package soon, and I told him to study diligently. Mom stuff, really.

But I have to be honest, it sort of felt like when I was 12 and wrote to Michael Jackson. He seemed so unreachable and I felt that chances were slim that I would actually get a reply. This wasn't my first attempt at trying to reach him.

But God is so much bigger than my doubts.

Today I woke up to the greatest e-mail I have ever read:

Hello Erin,

How are you doing? I’m so excited to hear that someone thinks about me every day in America. Wow how GOD plan is awesome!!! This is really amazing. Erin I remember you very well. I have still the poster that you give for me. I thought that you are forgetting about me before. I didn’t know that I have a place in your heart. I couldn’t believe when I read the message you send for me. I am so excited God because of God chooses you for me. I didn’t have an email address before. Solomon got for me this email address. Even I didn’t know why he did this before. I want to thank him. He is such a good young man. He is Just a role model for all kolfe boys. If he didn’t get for me this email address how can I found you?

Erin can I call you mom? I want you to be my family forever. I need clothes and shoes, exercise books. And pens for school. These are the problem I have but primarily I need some money that I pay for the Internet. There is no internet connection in Kolfe. I use internet cafĂ© by paying 20 cents for one minute. I am a student so; I don’t have any means of income. Even I wrote for you this message by the help of Solomon. He prints your message for me and gives for me the money to write for you. I need to talk to you at least twice a week. What do you think?

Erin school is going too very well. I am study hard to get good result than before. Thank you for your advice. I want to grow by God words and also Good student that proud his family. Erin know that you also a big place in my heart and I love you vey vey very much. R doing very well. I told about you for her and she is very excited. She also sends for you her love. I love you and miss you so much. I will talk to you soon until then the grace of our savior Jesus Christ be with you and your family.

Love,
B


Um..yeah. Crying.

10 comments:

The Gawel's said...

Ditto on the crying! You are amazing and so is your new son. Congrats on him! Miss you guys!

Brandi said...

oh Jesus!!!! Thank you sweet Jesus. Thank you for sweet Biruk and also for my precious friend Erin. I am amazed by you...simply Lord, amazed. Amen

Beautiful Mess said...

Ditto crying... God bless! That is so special and SO encouraging!

I wish I could have that kind of relationship with my sponsored children. There is SO much more love to give.

~Seth and Nancy~ said...

you must be walking on cloud 9 today!!! how amazing! brought tears to my eyes...God is so good!

Amy said...

Loving the tears that are rolling down my face right now - happy ones!! I am overjoyed that you both have made this connection - I know already that it's one God is going to use to shape BOTH of you!! Our God is AWESOME...what a great way to start off Thanksgiving!! Love ya. Amy

Erin Moore said...

I just have to say that I have read this e-mail about 100 times today.

I feel compelled to mention that in my initial e-mail, I asked Biruk what he needed - which is why he mentioned needing shoes, books, pens, and clothing.

Also, the internet money has been worked out between Solomon's mom and myself - I will not be sending Biruk money directly, as he is young and I fear that this would put him in danger. However, his internet needs will be provided for.

God is so good, I am elated!

Jillian and Crew said...

I am sooo happy for you and so glad you were able to figure out the internet and keep him safe at the same time, that was very wise!

how sweet!!!!

Staci said...

WOW. He's gorgeous. And sweet. And honest. Thank you for sharing.

Leesavee said...

Is Biruk the young man I'm taking the care package to?

Erin Moore said...

Lisa - Yes! Of course! :-) I assembled it this weekend & will get it to you this week!

Make sure you give him a big mama hug from me too!!