Saturday, January 23, 2010

Hypocrite

If you know Jesus, you know that if there is one thing He doesn't like, it's a hypocrite. Which makes it all the more disappointing when you realize you are one.

A few weeks ago I got an e-mail asking if I would like to be a guest author on one of my favorite blogs. I considered it a HUGE honor to write for Jillian while she was busy giving birth. I didn't really know what I was going to write about, until I came across a post on Carole Turner's blog about an article that she had read (are you confused yet). Carole's post was based on an article called "When No One Cares About Your Cause" - which asserts that if you want people to care about what you care about you need to live it and help them experience it. Anyway, I had my own opinion about this assertion and I started typing.

You can read my post if you want, but the long and short of it is that I'm not really surprised when people aren't as passionate about orphans as I am. I don't think you can drag people into your passions. My passion for orphans came from God, He awakened me, He made me care. I believe that if you want people to care about your cause, you need to get down on your knees and ask God to bring them along.

I was satisfied with what I had to say and I sent it off to Jillian without too much thought. A few days later I saw that it was posted on Jillian's blog. I didn't win a Pulitzer. Days passed and the post faded into history, uneventful. Done. Or so I thought.

It wasn't until Thursday when Dirt and I had a serious discussion about my passion for orphans vs. his lack of interest, that I realized that I hadn't drunk my own Kool-Aid. I believed my position and had even privately vowed not to try to coerce Dirt into loving orphans, but I wasn't living that out. I was trying to force my cause on him and I couldn't understand why he didn't care about orphans like I do, particularly as a Christian.

Um.

Yeah, I'm a total hypocrite.

Dirt hadn't read my post (bad husband alert), however, during our discussion on Thursday, he advised me to pray and ask God to give him that same passion, he didn't have it and I couldn't give it to him. Duh.

Living out our beliefs and convictions is so much more difficult than writing about them.

2 comments:

Grandma said...

Great post Erin. "Different strokes for different folks". Wouldn't this be a rather dull world if everyone thought and did as you did.
Think of your own children. Imagine if they all had the same personalities and interests.
I enjoy you and Shaun for your differences as well as how much you are the same.

Brandi said...

So true...

and you know what...I adore you. SO very thankful for your friendship my dear. You are precious to me

Bran