Sunday, February 14, 2010

This Valentine's Day...

Why not let an orphan break touch your heart?

David Held has the daunting task of getting 130 older boys who live at Kolfe Boys Home sponsored. I don’t envy David. I know from coordinating the sponsorship effort at my church that the cute little girls go first. Even in the adoption world, girls are adopted far more often than boys. It just be like that.

The other challenging aspect of David’s job is that the Kolfe boys are…well…old…some of them really old, like in their twenties. ..and trust me, there is no surplus of people out there banging down doors to sponsor 20 year old boys.

However, one of the best kept secrets is that these boys are the real gems. They’re old enough to articulate their feelings, their vulnerability, their need for you to show them what it’s like to have the love of a family. One 18 year old boy recently wrote, “I don’t know what it’s like to have mama love, can you teach me this?” [heart = mush].

So if you are interested in finding out about a different kind of love this Valentine’s Day, I would urge you to contact David. My own experience with sponsoring an older boy from Kolfe has been incredibly fulfilling. If you know me, you know how much our son B is a part of our family and our lives.

Both of these boys (and 48 more) at Kolfe Youth Orphanage need families to step up to sponsor them! Sponsorship means $34/month and the ability to have a relationship that will rock your world. Email kolfesponsor@gmail.com or click here to learn more.

No comments: