Thursday, September 02, 2010

iFast58 Devotional

I had the (daunting) honor of writing this week's iFast58 devotional.

One of the revelations I recently had was about love. I recall telling Dirt (my husband) that if the bible could be boiled down into one word, I believe it would be “love”. God wants us to love. He wants us to love Him, He wants us to each other deeply (1 Peter 4:8), and He wants us to love our enemies (Mat 5:44). Just love.

It seems so simple, yet I can’t even seem to get past the first and greatest commandment without messing up. Loving Him with all my heart mind soul and strength (Luke 10:27)? Um…seriously? How do I do that? What does that look like? How do I love anything that much? …And if loving an absolutely perfect God who created me and has given me everything is so difficult, imagine how hard it is for me to love those who are imperfect, who mess up, who suck the life out of me, and even worse…my enemies.

I have to be honest; there are days where my best display of love basically amounts to biting my tongue when I’d rather rip someone’s head off. On other days, it’s much different, His loves comes into me and fills me with compassion for people – people I don’t even know. Just a droplet of His perfect love melts me and breaks me for others.

I’m not sure where this is really going, I know I’m writing in preparation for ifast tomorrow, I guess the only thing I’m trying to say is that we are called to love, always. Love comes first. Sometimes I get overwhelmed with trying to fix problems and create solutions to the injustices of this world, but then He whispers in my ear, “Just love” – and I remember that it’s all about love. He brings me back to basics. Love your neighbor, love your friend, love the person who pumps your gas, call up your momma and love on her. Let’s just love today, shall we?

Love. Fast. Pray. And love some more."

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. John 13:34


If you would like to get on the weekly ifast e-mail, please let me know and I'll get your name added to the distribution list. You'll receive one e-mail per week (on Tuesday night). You don't have to fast, prayer still works!

2 comments:

Shannon- said...

Me me me. Add me! Thanks Erin!

Lindsey said...

I. JUST. LOVE. YOU!