Friday, October 01, 2010

We've Got Work To Do...

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.
Matthew 28:19-20
I once saw a t-shirt that said, "if you are a Christian, orphans are your thing". When I read Matthew 28, I can't help but think, "if you are a Christian, missions is your thing". I mean really, what part of "GO AND MAKE DISCIPLES OF ALL NATIONS" is unclear? This is what is referred to as "The Great Commission". It's our job on this earth.
Several years ago Dirt went to Spain and I remember thinking that I'd do missions later in life, when the kids were grown, but for the time being, my missions field was at home. I had no idea that God would call me to Africa just a few years later. It's truly so crazy to me that I am serving in Africa. I never would have planned this for my life, I never would have imagined this. I am so thankful that I follow a God that makes me step out of my comfort zone and He gives me adventures that are so incredibly fulfilling. They are fulfilling because I am serving Him - the Creator of the Universe. How incredible is that? The same God that made eyeballs and sharks and the sun...I am being used by Him! Awesomeness.
My main objective for going to Africa is to glorify God. I would never have chosen this path for my life, it is only be His grace, goodness, and mercy that He has allowed me the joy of serving Him in this way. Don't be fooled with thinking that "I am a good person", because I am not. The only good in me is from God.
Feeling blessed and thankful today.

2 comments:

The Dirks Family said...

Amen! Love the shirt... both of those would be thought provoking for sure! Go and gloriry sister, go and glorify. We've got your back with prayer!

Jamie said...

Reminded of seeing that verse on the inside of Katie's gate in Uganda:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamiemw/3957086598/