Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas Simplicity - #fail

Christmas was great, it was. Truly.



But I couldn't shake the feeling of failure inside.



Last year we had taken the first tiny step towards reprogramming our kids for a more prudent Christmas - one that de-emphasizes materialism and emphasizes Jesus. It was a step in the right direction and it felt good.



This year, we were doing pretty good, but then at the last second, I got nervous and bought more stuff. Stuff no one needs. Stuff that was paid for by credit card because we were over our cash budget. Stuff that brought temporary joy to the kids as they opened gifts on Christmas morning, but now sits - still in boxes on the living room floor - mocking me.

As I am typing this, Amaya is throwing a fit because she's "bored" - she just said, "this is the worst day ever". The living room where she made this statement looks like Toys R Us.


Have I forgotten everything God has been teaching me over the last year? Materialism is a sin - and not only am I undisciplined about combating my own materialistic tendencies, I am teaching my kids to love stuff too.

When are we going to give Jesus center stage on His birthday?

Will we ever learn?

1 comment:

The Dirks Family said...

Amen! Preach it, sister! It's an uphill battle, but I am convinced we CAN win it!