Sunday, December 05, 2010

I Love Mondays

I am done working on Mondays. Seriously. Done. I am home with Maya on Mondays now and it's good. Last Monday was our first day together. Overall it was good - but there was a "breaking period" that had to happen...which resulted in her whining/crying for the first 2 hours of the day.
What I have come to realize is that I've been remiss on enforcing some of the basic parenting principles because..well..parenting is a lot of work and frankly, I already have a full time job. I'm embarrassed to say that, but sadly it's true. I have let a lot of things slip past because dealing with them takes more time and energy than I have. The result is ugly; Maya is a good girl gone wild. [I bite my finger here].
Now that we're going to be spending more time together, she's got to learn some of the rules. Last Monday we started with rule #1: I'm in charge.
She didn't really like that rule, thus the 2 hours of crying. Once we got that out of the way, things went swellingly well.
We played pictionary because she wanted to and there was really nothing else to do. This was awesome. Except that I had trouble guessing some of her pictures.
This was clearly a birthday cake...but she lied and told me that it was "a cake with a lot of candles that was not for someone's birthday....on a fancy plate".

She's a little cheater. The above was definitely "fishing". But she denied it. I guessed "Striper", "Ocean", "Daddy", "Fishing"...she glibly told me no to all of my guesses. Then my time ran out and she told me that it was actually "A man fishing in the sea on a sunny day".
Whatevs.

Then we decided we'd bake a huge chocolate chip cookie...

...and we licked the batter off of the bowl and our fingers. And no one could tell us not to. We just did it. Crazy, huh?
I have entered the world of stay-at-home mommas, albeit one day per week. But I like this strange and unfamiliar place. There is time there and it is good. I can't wait to revisit this world tomorrow and hang out with my girl some more.

No comments: