Monday, February 14, 2011

The Best Valentine EVER!

Today I picked the kids up from school, as normal. I spotted Avery amidst a group of middle-schoolers - huddled together waiting for their parents. He was holding something - but I couldn't make out what it was.
When he entered the car I could see that he had three carnations. He smiled and showed them to me. I smiled back and asked him where he got the flowers. "someplace" he smiled. "Okay...where?" I asked. "Some Place", he responded - this time separating the words "some" and "place". So my motherly barrage of questions began, "Did a girl give them to you?, Did a boy give them to you?, Did a teacher give them to you?" He responded "no" on all accounts. I was perplexed. "Why are you acting all secretive about the flowers? What's the big deal?"
"They're for you". He replied.
[heart melted into a puddle - probably stained my driver side floor mats, but who cares? Um...my middle-school son just gave me flowers on Valentines day]
"Awww...they're beautiful! - Where did you get them?" I asked.
"Well, I picked them out of the trash. People had thrown them away because the flower fell off the stem. The whole thing is from the trash, well...except for the tissue - that's new"
Um...presciousness.
"I love them, and I love how thoughtful and creative you are. This is the best Valentines day gift I have ever received!"
"You can't water them", he said.
"That's okay, they'll be beautiful for the rest of the day".
*
There is so much beauty in the things of this world that are "thrown away". I hope and pray that my kids are always able to find beauty in things that are otherwise discarded and disregarded. Lord, give them your eyes and your heart!

No comments: