Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Marriage #FAIL

We have a family calendar in our kitchen. At the beginning of each month I populate it. In an effort to keep it from getting cluttered with details we don’t track doctors appointments and basketball games/practices on it, but we do highlight major events such as birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, special outings, trips, etc. We track all the detailed stuff on our family gmail calendar so that Dirt and I can have access to the same calendar when we’re someplace other than our kitchen.

On January first I wrote out this calendar. Fine. It looks like someone erased Dirt’s birthday from the 15th, and added an important Celtics game, but other than that it’s pretty standard. I highlighted Amaya’s chapel date so we’d all remember that she had to dress up and I put a big red heart on the 31st, symbolizing our anniversary…cause I’m romantic like that.

Last week I invited a friend over for dinner on Tuesday, but then quickly cancelled because I remembered that Tuesday was our anniversary. In the back of my mind, I figured maybe Dirt and I could slip out for a bite to eat together.

Yesterday my mom texted me, “Happy Anniversary – you guys should use the gift card I gave you to do to dinner”…I texted back, “yup, that’s what we are planning to do tomorrow!” Yay!

Yesterday I stopped at KTP to see if I could pick up a little anniversary something to surprise my sweetheart – some slippers – a simple, yet loving gesture. (We had already agreed that the fantastical new bed we bought ourselves in July would be our “anniversary gift”).

This morning I woke up and went through my normal routine. I stepped into the kitchen and saw the heart on the calendar and then bolted upstairs to wish my handsome hubby a happy anniversary. I hopped on the bed, kissed his sleepy cheek, and cheerfully said, “Happy Anniversary”. …as the words rolled off my tongue I felt a sudden sense of confusion. “Wait, is today our anniversary, or was it on the 30th?”

He smiled, “it was yesterday. I can’t believe we went through the whole day without saying happy anniversary to each other. I thought about it in the morning and as I was about to call you, I got busy with something else, then I thought about it again in the evening, but you went to bed early last night”

“Oops. Well, I have been thinking about it for a week, I just had it pegged on the wrong day. So…dinner tonight?”

“Yup”.

All I have to say is that we’re just so crazy in love that dates have lost all meaning to us! It’s good to be so in love with my best friend. I thank God for giving me such an amazing husband to walk this adventure we call “life” with. There have been so many times in the last year, where I have realized how dependent I am on him. I would be completely lost without him. He is truly my knight in shining armor.


1 comment:

joline casey said...

Glad I got it right!!!